The following is an accurate description of the political rhetoric, the labels and language in its use on the political right (from a Twitter thread). It is by Matthew A. Sears, an Associate Professor of Classics and Ancient History at the University of New Brunswick.
1. “I’m neither a liberal nor a conservative.” = “I’m totally a conservative.”
2. “I’m a radical centrist.” = “I’m totally a conservative.”
3. “I’m a classical liberal.” = “I’m a neoliberal who’s never read any classical liberals.”
4. “I’m not usually a fan of X.” *Retweets and agrees with everything X says.*
5. “I’m a free speech absolutist.” = “I’m glad racists are now free to speak publicly.”
6. “I believe in confronting views one finds offensive.” *Whines about being bullied by lefties.*
7. “My views are in the minority and aren’t given a fair hearing.”*Buys the best-selling book in the world.*
8. “Where else would you rather live?” = “Canada is perfect for me, and it better not frigging change to be better for anyone else.”
9. “Nazis should be able to speak and given platforms so we can debate them.” *Loses mind if someone says ‘fuck’ to a Nazi.*
10. “The left has taken over everything.” *Trump is president and the Republicans control Congress.*
And, finally, the apex of Twitterspeak:
11. “The left are tyrants and have taken over everything and refuse to hear other perspectives and pose a dire threat to the republic and Western Civilization.” *Ben Shapiro has over a million followers.*
I’d say treat this thread as an Enigma Machine for Quillette-speak/viewpoint-diversity-speak/reverse-racism-speak/MRA-speak, but none of these chaps are enigmas.
I can’t believe I have to add this, but some are *outraged* by this thread: I don’t mind if you’re *actually* centrist or conservative. I just mind if you *pretend to be* left/centrist for rhetorical/media cred/flamewar purposes, while *only* taking conservative stances. Sheesh
Like, I’m pretty left-wing on many issues these days. It would be sneaky of me to identity as “conservative” or “classical liberal” or whatever only to dump on all their ideas and always support opposing ideas. A left-winger or centrist is what a left-winger or centrist tweets.
12. “I’m a strict Constitutionalist” = “I’m as racist as fuck.”