- Be kind.
- Play nicely with others.
- Don’t be evil.
- A minimal level of intelligence, curiosity, open-mindedness, honesty, sincerity, and good intentions is a non-negotiable requirement. Life is too short and the moral failings of humanity endless. The purpose here is to allow space for kindness and compassion, empathy and understanding. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Be understanding and forgiving. It’s that simple.
- I have zero tolerance for spamming, trolling, and troll-like behavior; extremely annoying comments, idiotic mind games, and general fuckery; willful ignorance, playing stupid, and pointless nitpicking; cherrypicking data, refusal to acknowledge arguments, and distracting from the topic of discussion; arrogant self-righteousness, unquestioning self-certainty, and blatant hypocrisy; et cetera. Basically, jerks and assholes are not welcome, and bullshit is not allowed nor apologetics and anti-intellectualism.
- And I have no patience for rigid absolutism, ideological dogmatism, and mindless groupthink; sociopathy, cruelty, and mean-spiritedness; bigotry, prejudice, and hateful language; deceptive spin, empty rhetoric, and dog whistle politics; et cetera. This doesn’t only include such things as straightforward racism, but also such things as race realism — for the two can’t be differentiated and only a racist would claim otherwise. This applies to similar non-distinctions. If you walk like a duck and quack like a duck, I will treat you like a duck. Neither will subtle bigotry like dog whistle politics be tolerated.
- Other varieties of unacceptable views are misogyny and misandry, homophobia and xenophobia, poor-bashing and eugenics. I’m fair and balanced in my intolerance of intolerance; for example, advocacy of oppressive or bigoted forms of Zionism are no more allowed than is antisemitism. To keep it further balanced, along with being opposed to settler colonialism and ethno-theocracy, I likewise won’t allow space on this blog for those promoting imperialism, fascism, fundamentalism, xenophobia, etc.
- Basically, I don’t appreciate any form or expression of reactionary thought, authoritarianism, social domination, Machiavellianism, demagoguery, and on and on. You get the general idea. This is not to be taken as a comprehensive list, but as a suggestion of the appropriate attitude in participating here.
I won’t argue about any of this and I won’t necessarily explain. You may or may not be given a second chance. If I deem your comments to be contrary to my values and principles, your comments won’t be posted. And if I don’t like you for any reason whatsoever or otherwise find relating to you to be a net loss to my happiness or to the purpose of this blog, I very well might permanently block you. That said, my years of experience demonstrates that the vast majority of people who seek to comment don’t run afoul of my standards. I’ve regularly written on this blog for about a decade, which includes thousands of posts and comments. During that time, I’ve only blocked a few people.
I value and enjoy open discussion, honest and intelligent debate, even moreso when it is guided by questioning curiosity and intellectual humility. Throwing in some radical imagination and out-of-the-box thinking can be good as well. Keep it interesting. If you don’t share my attitude, please just go away. But if you do share my attitude, I’m glad to have you participate. I welcome and enjoy comments, even or especially long detailed comments that offer useful info, original insights, incisive analysis, tough questions, challenging views, etc. And I almost always respond, as there are few things I enjoy more than dialogue, at least when friendly. I’m not big into argumentative debate, though. Keep it on a human level, as if we were two people sitting down for a coffee, beer, or whatever is your choice of beverage. There is a person on the other side of the screen.
By the way, recommendations of reading material, blogging ideas, new views, etc are almost always appreciated. I’m continuously in the process of learning. That is what this blog is about and so comment accordingly.
(Last updated: 2/22/2019)